Monday, September 16, 2013

Make New Mistakes


Make New Mistakes



When my daughter broke the hairband for her birthday dress, while getting ready for her birthday… she was so taken back! I remember those eyes, full of doubt and guilt, but waiting for a word of encouragement, someone who will say its ok. I remember me being upset, she broke something I specially handcrafted for her, about to shout… when my son casually walked in and stated “ It’s Okay Khushi, always remember…. Make new mistakes”. Then everything changed. Those anxious eyes turned into a happy smile and I understood too that the most important thing about being 3 for her was to have a Happy Birthday in its true sense!

These three small words which my son brought home from school one day, changed my perspective and our life so much! They are so powerful, whether its relationships, parenting or children. While we  are trying to achieve our dreams and goals, it's always so important to know that we are not perfect and will never be. I am pleased with my own self for knowing that new mistakes are necessary to learn and  by making sure my mistakes are new, I remember the lessons learned! It also changed how I look at arguments and misunderstandings between friends and our near and dear ones. I always tell myself, if I can fumble, so can they! If I am a good person… so are they!

When I Look into my children’s eyes and tell them “It’s Okay, make new mistakes!” I can see the immense pleasure they get when they are felt accepted even with their faults! I not only want to give them the assurance they need from a parent but a powerful lesson that  one day when you grow up to explore the world on your own, be accepting and encouraging and remember …
Everyone makes mistakes…. Even the people you love!!


 From all the lessons I keep learning in life,
 this one came from the least expected source :)

Do share your memorable parenting moments! I love to read them...

7 comments:

  1. So true Jeny. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) there is always a piece of learning with the kids .. beautiful piece of an usual day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good writing. In my experience I have always understood, that children bring a completely different perspective to our every day thinking and that perspective is simple yet effective and causes the least conflict. We just have to listen to them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it... totally agree about not reacting in a negative way because kids are not breaking things on purpose or making mess on purpose :). I break things and make mess too...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely story! What else can you expect from our outstanding HARSH....Your kids are just AWESOME...good parenting Jeny!

    ReplyDelete