Wednesday, September 25, 2013

My Data disconnect...

My data disconnect….

From the past few weeks I have been reading articles about how our increasing dependence on the internet and a need for social presence is creeping slowly and making a firm hold on our children’s growth. Living in the 21st century, I know how important it is to embrace this wonderful technology which makes it so easy and hassle free to connect with the world. I am more informed, more aware, abreast with the latest that happens in the world, but also very distracted. I could not imagine myself being totally disconnected or unaware but was in a constant struggle to strike a balance.

A couple of weeks back I tried this experiment which I want to share with everyone. I disconnected my data connection and wifi as soon as my children came home till the time they went to bed! My smart phone was just a phone then, at soccer practices, at swim lessons, at bus stops and at grocery stores. I was always just a call away, but the important part was, I was away… from distraction. Every time my child had to say something, I was right there, looking at them and really listening to what they had to share. With my newest idea, I wanted to be present in my children’s lives.

My newest experiment taught me an unexpected lesson….

I was now raising a child who will not grow up seeing his parents texting or checking emails while driving and at red lights, who will grow up knowing that family, friends and people with whom you are, at that moment, matter the most, children that understood that a great swim stroke or a soccer kick or the bear hug right after school was only for their own pleasure! And one thing that makes me the happiest is the hope, when I think of my life 10 years down the line, when the phone will be in their hands and I will be the one talking…. they will be looking right at me, with their eyes and ears all for me J. Because I know, I have these wonderful children who will follow their first and only constant teacher the most!!

Share with me, how you strike a balance.... would love to hear it and apply a few ideas!

3 comments:

  1. So true...Our children watch us live what we are shouts louder than what we say. Very well said Jeny:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One evening, after having dinner, I opened up my laptop for face booking. Sartaj wanted water and came to me but went back to kitchen without uttering even a single word. He started to pour in water from jug. Small little hands were not strong enough to handle water filled jug. Heard Sartaj calling for help in a very sad and fearful voice. With the stern voice I asked "Why did you not call me if you were thirsty?" Then he softly said with concern " Mama! I thought you were working and I should not disturb you".

    It's pretty obvious for a mother to guess how had I felt at that moment!!!!!!!! But After that day, I don't even touch my laptop when my kids are around :)


    BTW, beautifully written piece of advice for all of us :)

    ReplyDelete